🇺🇸

North Korea rebuilds part of a missile site, Bolton warns of more sanctions

Credit: Reuters Studio
Published on March 6, 2019 - Duration: 01:39s

North Korea rebuilds part of a missile site, Bolton warns of more sanctions

Reports have emerged that North Korea restored part of a rocket test site it began to dismantle after pledging to do so in a first summit with U.S. President Donald Trump last year, while Trump's National Security Adviser John Bolton warned that new sanctions could be introduced if Pyongyang did not scrap its nuclear weapons program.

Ryan Brooks reports.

Advertisement

North Korea rebuilds part of a missile site, Bolton warns of more sanctions

Reports emerged Tuesday (March 5) North Korea has restored parts of a missile site, one it had promised U.S. President Donald Trump it would dismantle.

Two U.S. think tanks and South Korean media say the North has begun to again build up the Sohae Satellite Launching Station.

Analysts at 38 North, a top North Korea-focused group in Washington say satellite images show structures on the site's launch pad had been rebuilt between February 16th and March 2nd.

Those dates may have placed it in the run-up to Trump's second summit with leader Kim Jong Un in Hanoi.

A summit that broke down over differences on how far North Korea was willing to limit its nuclear program and how willing the U.S. might be to lay off sanctions on the regime.

The second think-tank, The Center for Strategic and International Studies, said North Korea was "pursuing a rapid rebuilding" at the site.

After the reports emerged Tuesday Trump's security advisor John Bolton said the U.S. would look at ramping up those sanctions if the nuclear program continues.

He told Fox Business Network that "They're not going to get relief from the crushing economic sanctions that have been imposed on them and we'll look at ramping up those sanctions." Trump told a news conference after his first summit that Kim had promised a major missile engine testing site would be destroyed very soon.

A U.S. official later told Reuters it was the Sohae site, the one now being rebuilt.

When asked for comment, the White House referred to the U.S. State Department, which did not immediately respond.

A U.S. government source said while the reports seem reliable- the work did not seem particularly alarming and certainly not on the scale of restarting missile tests suspended since 2017.

You are here

Recent related videos from verified sources

Huawei Has Been Give Death Penalty By US Gov't 00:42
Credit: Wochit - Published 1 hour ago 

Severe droughts are affecting Angola and North Korea 01:12
Credit: Zoomin.TV Canada - Published 4 days ago 

North Korea Accuses U.S. Of 'Robbery' After It Seized Ship 00:36
Credit: Wochit - Published 6 days ago 

N. Korea Says Ship seizure Violates Trump-Kim Summit 00:41
Credit: Wochit News - Published 6 days ago 

North Korea says ship seizure violates spirit of U.S. talks 01:15
Credit: Reuters Studio - Published 6 days ago 

North Korean Leader Continues Attempt To Boos Strike Capability 00:32
Credit: Wochit News - Published 1 week ago 

North Korea's new missiles tests aren't only for show: analysts 02:24
Credit: Reuters Studio - Published 1 week ago 

North Korea's new missiles aren't only for show: analysts 02:24
Credit: Reuters Studio - Published 1 week ago 

You might like